Manhattan Cultural Tourism Grant
About the Grant
Each year, New York City & Company Foundation funds and administers the Manhattan Cultural Tourism Grant – designed to support cultural-tourism marketing and audience-development initiatives that will expand awareness of the various neighborhoods throughout the borough of Manhattan.
Working in partnership with Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer, the Foundation grants funds to support nonprofit arts and cultural organizations identified by the Borough President. These projects must be consistent with the Foundation’s mission to support cultural tourism and educate audiences about the range of cultural opportunities that the borough of Manhattan has to offer.
NYC & Company Foundation Mission
The NYC & Company Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable and educational organization whose mission is to support tourism to New York City by promoting the arts and cultural organizations that make visiting New York a special and exciting experience. Since its inception in 1999, the Foundation has created and implemented a range of audience development and outreach projects to educate domestic and international visitors about the vibrant cultural community throughout all five boroughs.
Project proposals must contain:
- Detailed description of the project including specifically what portion (i.e., percentage of the total budget) of the project will be funded by the NYC & Company Foundation grant. This should also indicate whether the proposed project is contingent on receipt of the whole amount applied for or whether a partial amount would be acceptable.
- A list of target audience(s) and constituent communities the project will benefit and seek to reach.
- How the project’s actions will help achieve the cultural tourism objectives.
- How the success of the project will be measured.
- A detailed budget itemizing the entire cost of the project, even if the requested NYC & Company Foundation support represents only partial funding of the project.
- A copy of the applicant arts organization’s 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status determination letter. Proposals cannot be considered without tax-exempt certification.
- A detailed project implementation timeline, including major production and promotional elements with deliverable dates.
Funds granted by the NYC & Company Foundation may ONLY be received and used for not-for-profit 501(c)(3) arts and cultural organizations to promote their events, exhibitions or activities. Per NYC & Company’s new policy, organizations that have been or will be awarded grants from NYC & Company and/or the NYC & Company Foundation directly for the calendar year 2016 or 2017 are not eligible for the 2018 Manhattan Cultural Tourism Grant.
Projects eligible for funding under the program shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Development, production and distribution of a cultural organization’s promotional materials (brochures, posters, maps, websites, videos and slides)
- Special cultural events or projects supported by the borough president and designed to bring visitors to the borough and the borough’s not-for-profit cultural assets
- Cultural advertising targeted to the inbound visitor market(s)
- Research to determine visitor profiles, identify markets or measure economic impact of cultural organizations’ tourism outreach initiatives
Costs associated with borough projects that are NOT eligible for funding from the NYC & Company Foundation include, but are not limited to:
- Payments and/or benefits for personnel or consultants
- Capital projects, rent and/or structural rehabilitation
- Travel and entertainment
- Membership dues or fees
- Postage or office supplies
- Business-to-business projects
- Promotion of for-profit entities
- Projects that promote organizations outside New York City
- Any activities associated with political lobbying or campaigning
Grant Application Timeline
Deadline for the next grant cycle is to be determined.
How to Apply
Please note that all applications must be completed online. Please click here to register and access the application by the deadline. To apply:
- Step 1: Create an account
- Select one login email address/password to be used for all of the organization’s submissions
- Provide the email address of the person who will be responsible for the grant administration. Important communication regarding your grant application will be via this email address.
- Step 2: Create a profile for your account
- Carefully fill out all the required entries. The profile you create for your organization will be used to identify your organization in our system.
- Note: for organization address, please use your organization’s mailing address.
- Step 3: Complete the online grant application
- Please choose the “2018 Manhattan Cultural Grant” to apply, once you successfully log in to the Grant Portal.
- You will receive an email confirming the receipt of your application.
If you have questions about the grant process, please contact James Thomas, Budget Analyst at email@example.com or 212-669-2029. If you would like to speak with NYC & Company Foundation about the specifics of your program, please contact Carianne Carleo-Evangelist, Senior Director, Arts & Cultural Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.