We’re excited to add new sites on the Upper East Side and Washington Heights to our Fresh Food for Seniors program this year, in addition to the neighborhoods from Northern Manhattan to the West Village to Roosevelt Island. Here’s how it works: seniors can place an order for $8 a week in advance, and pick up a bag of fresh fruit and vegetables (worth at least $15) the following week. The order must be paid in cash and in person; sign-up times and delivery dates vary by location.
Sign-ups start the week of July 1 at the following sites:
- Upper West Side: Goddard Riverside Senior Center, JASA: Club 76, Project Find Hamilton & Clinton Senior Centers, NCJW Council Lifetime Learning, Bloomingdale Aging in Place, Goddard Riverside West Side NORC, DOROT, JASA St. Martin’s Tower NORC, Project Open at Lincoln Towers
- Upper East Side: Stanley Isaacs Senior Center and 92nd Street Y Himan Brown Senior Program
- Washington Heights/Inwood: Center for Adults Living Well @ the Y, YM&YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
- Harlem: Manhattan Borough President’s Northern Manhattan Office, Central Harlem Senior Citizens’ Center: Kennedy and St. Nicholas, and Morningside Retirement & Health Services NORC
Sign-ups start the week of July 8 at the following sites:
- West Village: West Village Houses, Greenwich House
- Chelsea/Hell’s Kitchen: Speaker Corey Johnson’s Office, Hudson Guild NORC and Senior Center, SAGE Center Midtown, VISIONS, Penn South Program for Seniors, Encore Senior Center
- Roosevelt Island: Roosevelt Island Senior Center
Other senior centers require that you be a member or building resident—just ask! Please check my website’s Fresh Food for Seniors page after June 15 for the complete list and details. The program is made possible by partnerships with GrowNYC (the greenmarket people), Council Speaker Corey Johnson, Council Member Helen Rosenthal and the various neighborhood senior centers. Contact Shula Puder at 212-669-2392 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. This is a “three-fer”— you’ll get a bargain, support local agriculture and eat healthier!