About the Grant
Each year, New York City & Company Foundation funds and administers the Manhattan Cultural Tourism Grant – designed to support cultural-tourism marketing and audience-development initiatives that will expand awareness of the various neighborhoods throughout the borough of Manhattan.
Working in partnership with Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer, the Foundation grants funds to support nonprofit arts and cultural organizations identified by the Borough President. These projects must be consistent with the Foundation’s mission to support cultural tourism and educate audiences about the range of cultural opportunities that the borough of Manhattan has to offer.
NYC & Company Foundation Mission
The NYC & Company Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable and educational organization whose mission is to support tourism to New York City by promoting the arts and cultural organizations that make visiting New York a special and exciting experience. Since its inception in 1999, the Foundation has created and implemented a range of audience development and outreach projects to educate domestic and international visitors about the vibrant cultural community throughout all five boroughs.
Project proposals must include:
- Detailed description of the project;
- Detailed itemized budget for the entire project; including specification of which line items grant funding will be applied to;
- The target audience(s) of the project;
- How the success of the project will be measured;
- A copy of the applicant arts organization’s 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status determination letter (Proposals will not be considered without tax-exempt certification); and,
- A detailed project implementation timeline, including major production and promotional elements with deliverable dates.
Funds granted by the NYC & Company Foundation may ONLY be received and used for not-for-profit 501(c)(3) arts and cultural organizations to promote their events, exhibitions or activities.
Projects eligible for funding under the program shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- All grant recipients must be registered as a 501(c)3 with the State of New York.
- Applicants’ projects must fall within calendar year 2020.
- If you are selected, the Offices will provide you with the Borough Grant Reporting Guidelines. You must review and comply with these requirements. By accepting the Foundation’s check, you agree to comply with the Borough Grant Reporting Guidelines including, but not limited to, submitting the previous year’s final report prior to receiving funds.
- Projects eligible for funding under the program shall include, but are not limited to, promotional materials for cultural institutions, programs, and events (i.e. paid media, print or digital content, and/or videos).
Costs associated with borough projects that are NOT eligible for funding from the NYC & Company Foundation include, but are not limited to:
- Salary and/or benefits for staff, consultants, or certain contractors, i.e. hiring of street teams;
- Capital projects, rent and/or structural rehabilitation;
- Travel and entertainment;
- Membership dues or fees;
- Office supplies or overhead;
- Business-to-business projects;
- Promotion of for-profit entities or individuals;
- Promotion of organizations outside New York City; and,
- Any activities associated with political lobbying or campaigning.
Certain types of entities are not eligible to receive or benefit from Foundation funds. These include, but are not limited to:
- Individuals who are not part of an established 501(c)3 organization or organizations, which exist exclusively for the purpose of scholarship-granting; or,
- Fiscal conduits or sponsors.
Each applicant must complete and submit a unique project proposal. The Offices are responsible for facilitating the application process and ensuring that submitted proposals fulfill all Foundation requirements.
Grant Application Timeline
The deadline for the next grant cycle is January 24, 2020 by 5 pm.
How to Apply
Please note that all applications must be completed online. Please click here to register and access the application by the deadline. To apply:
- Step 1: Create an account
- Select one login email address/password to be used for all of the organization’s submissions
- Provide the email address of the person who will be responsible for the grant administration. Important communication regarding your grant application will be via this email address.
- Step 2: Create a profile for your account
- Carefully fill out all the required entries. The profile you create for your organization will be used to identify your organization in our system.
- Note: for organization address, please use your organization’s mailing address.
- Step 3: Complete the online grant application
- Please choose the “2020 Manhattan Cultural Grant” to apply, once you successfully log in to the Grant Portal.
- You will receive an email confirming the receipt of your application.
If you have questions about the grant process, please contact James Thomas, Budget Analyst at email@example.com or 212-669-1851. If you would like to speak with NYC & Company Foundation about the specifics of your program, please contact Carianne Carleo-Evangelist, Senior Director, Arts & Cultural Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the grant recipients for 2019:NYC-Company-Borough-Culture-Grants-FY19