Fresh Food for Seniors
This program (a version of which I first opened in my City Council district in 2012), established in partnership with senior centers and many local Council Members (this year including Chelsea & Hell’s Kitchen’s Corey Johnson and the Upper West Side’s Helen Rosenthal), allows seniors to purchase fresh, regionally grown fruit and vegetables for just $9 a bag.
The process is simple: Seniors pay $9 cash for a bag– containing five to six varieties of fresh fruits and vegetables– a week in advance at a participating site, and then pick up their produce the following week. Participants can sign up for just one order at a time so that they can decide how much food they need, when they need it. 2021 registration has already begun; sign-up dates/times vary per site– please contact each site below for more details.
Produce is ordered through GrowNYC at wholesale prices from farmers in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania.
All New Yorkers need as much access as possible to fresh, healthy, locally-sourced food. Access to fresh and local food for vulnerable and low-income populations is the most pressing food and nutrition issue facing New Yorkers today.
Upper West Side
Delivery dates: 10/20, 11/3, 11/17
- Goddard Riverside Senior Center (593 Columbus Ave. at 88th St., sign-up takes place at each pick up from 1–3 pm, contact Shula or Rita below with any questions)
- Project Find: Hamilton House (141 W. 73rd St., 212-787-7710)
- NCJW Council Lifetime Learning (241 W. 72nd St., 212-687-5030)
- Bloomingdale Aging in Place (212-842-8831)
- Lincoln House Outreach (303 W. 66th St., 212-875-8958
Hell’s Kitchen, Chelsea, and West Village
Delivery dates: 10/26, 11/9, 11/23
- SAGE (305 7th Ave., 15th floor, 646-576-8669)
- VISIONS (135 W. 23rd St., 646-486-4444)
- Greenwich House (27 Barrow St., 4th floor, 212-242-4140)
- Encore Senior Center (239 W. 49th St., 212-581-2910)
- Hudson Guild NORC (441 W. 26th St., 212-760-9800)
- West Village Houses (642 Washington St., 212-255-2035)
For more information, contact:
Shula Warren Puder in my office office at 212-669-2392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Speaker Johnson’s office at 212-564-7757 or email@example.com
Rita Genn in Council Member Rosenthal’s office at 212-873-0282 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated October 18, 2021