The New York City Charter requires that each Borough President maintain a topographical bureau and retain a borough engineer. The primary responsibility of the Manhattan Topographical Bureau is to maintain the Borough Map and to furnish copies of the Map and related data to City agencies and the general public.
Specific tasks include:
- Preparing changes to the Map for street improvements
- Assigning address numbers to new buildings
- Assigning new addresses to existing buildings
- Verifying block, lot and address information for existing buildings
- Maintaining a system of benchmarks and monuments that are required to survey grade and elevation conditions
- Researching the history of Manhattan’s streets and sidewalks
- Responding to engineering matters related to public improvement projects or construction matters.
The Borough President’s Map Room is open to the public by appointment only. To request an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-669-8300. Appointments are available Monday and Wednesday during the hours of 10:00 a.m. through 1:00 p.m. and on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the hours of 10:00 a.m. through 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm through 4:00 pm.
For additional information, please contact Hector Rivera, Topographical Bureau Associate at 212-669-4388 or email@example.com. For engineering related matters, please contact Anthony Gulotta, PE at 212-669-8138 or firstname.lastname@example.org.