NEW YORK, NY – Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer and the NYC & Company Foundation have announced this year’s Manhattan recipients of the Borough Cultural Tourism Development Grant Program.
This program is designed to promote tourism in all parts of the borough and raise awareness of domestic and international travelers of the wide range of cultural opportunities available in Manhattan. The grants will fund the cultural organizations’ development of programming and production of marketing material to reach new audiences.
“These groups each represent a single facet of Manhattan’s vast cultural diversity,” said Borough President Brewer. “From egg creams to poetry slams, from Afro-Latin jazz to Native American drums, these events are unique to us and add to our attractiveness as a tourist destination. The groups my office has selected offer the full range of underappreciated Manhattan attractions.”
“Culture is an enormous part of New York City’s appeal to visitors,” said Fred Dixon, President and CEO of NYC & Company. “Investing in culture supports New York City’s vitality as well as the visitor spending and job creation essential to the City’s economy.”
This year’s recipients are:
- Afro Latin Jazz Alliance – Grant will support marketing and promotion of the Arturo O’Farrill & the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra season at Symphony Space.
- Big Apple Greeter – Grant will support an upgrade of Big Apple Greeter’s website.
- Chinatown Partnership Local Development Corp. – Grant will help fund the printing and distribution of Map Through Chinatown’s History and Culture Campaign.
- Harlem Week, Inc. – Grant will provide support for the marketing and promotion of Harlem Week event.
- Lotus Music and Dance – Grant will support the marketing and promotion of Drums along the Hudson: A Native American Festival and Multicultural Celebration.
- Museum at Eldridge Street – Grant will provide funding of marketing and promotional materials for Egg Rolls & Egg Creams Festival.
- New York Scandia Symphony – Grant will support marketing and promotional materials for the Scandinavian Music Festival.
- Nuyorican Poets Café, Inc. – Grant will support marketing and promotion of Nuyorican Poets Café’s Poetry Slam.
- NY African Ensemble – Grant will support development, production and distribution of the marketing materials for the Harlem and the Heights Tourism Project.
- Pan American Musical Art Research – Grant will support promotion and publicity expenses for the Latin American Cultural Week.
Borough Cultural Tourism Development Grants are privately funded by donations to the NYC & Company Foundation, whose mission is to support tourism and economic development in all five boroughs by promoting local cultural events and institutions. The grant program is administered by the Borough President’s Office, and cultural groups are invited to apply for funding annually. Recipients are selected by the Borough President based on the merit of the program.