Low- and middle-income New Yorkers who have struggled to make rent or utility payments during the pandemic can apply to New York State’s $2 billion Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP).
Those who are approved for the program could receive relief for up to 12 months of rental arrears dating from March 13, 2020– and even missed payments for gas or electric utilities (some may be eligible for three future monthly rent payments).
Eligible tenants must have:
- fallen behind in rent or utility payments since March 2020
- qualified for unemployment insurance, lost income, or had increased expenses due to COVID
- a household income that’s 80% or less of area median income ($95,450 for a household of four; see income limits for other household sizes here)
Citizenship or immigration status doesn’t affect eligibility; landlords can apply on behalf of tenants.
ERAP has enlisted community organizations to assist tenants and landlords with their applications. Manhattan’s designated organizations are:
There are many other organizations that are helping with applications– see a list below.
Applicants can also call the State hotline at 844-691-7368 for application assistance.
Like many online processes, it can be tricky to apply. You need all sorts of documentation (ID, lease amounts, proof of residency) – see what you need here.
Those who’ve already applied have encountered obstacles; some report that clearing their browser’s cache helps the application form to work.
What’s more, once the application is started, all questions must be answered and the application signed and saved to submit the application. There currently is no way to save a partially completed application. (Once it’s signed and saved, documentation can be added later if necessary).
Approved payments will be made directly to the landlord/property owner on behalf of the tenant; tenants will be notified of the amounts paid on their behalf.
Start the ERAP application process here.
If you have questions and would like help from my office, contact my Northern Manhattan Office at 212-531-1609.
Organizations citywide offering individual ERAP application assistance:
- Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE), schedule appointment at 212-979-8381 (9:00 am – 5:00 pm), firstname.lastname@example.org (English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Fuzhanese, Toisanese, Spanish)
- Banana Kelly Community Improvement, (718) 328-1064, email@example.com (English and Spanish)
- Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corp., 718-636-6994 (9:00 am – 6:00 pm), firstname.lastname@example.org (English and Spanish) *specializes in Brooklyn residents but serves all NYC residents*
- Brighton Neighborhood Association, 718-891-0800, email@example.com, walk-in services, 9:30 am – 5:00 pm, (English, Spanish, Russian, Urdu, translation services) *specializes in Brighton Beach, but serves all NYC residents*
- Bronx NHS CDC, 718-881-1180 (9:00 am – 5:00 pm), schedule appointment with firstname.lastname@example.org (English, Spanish)
- Catholic Charities Community Services, help line 1-888-744-7900 (Mon-Fri, 8:30 am – 7:00 pm; Sat, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm), CC.ERAP@catholiccharitiesny.org (English, Spanish)
- Chinese-American Planning Council., 212-431-7800, email@example.com (Chinese, English, Spanish)
- Clinton Housing Development Corp, 212-967-1644, firstname.lastname@example.org (English, Spanish) *only for Chelsea and Hell’s Kitchen*
- Coalition for the Homeless, 1-888-850-2712 (opens 9:30 am on Wednesdays only), email@example.com,
- Cooper Square Committee, ERAP Hotline: 332-233-7440, firstname.lastname@example.org (English, Spanish– Mandarian and Cantonese to be added soon)
- Cypress Hills Local Development Corp., central office: (718) 647-2800, housing hotline: 718- 647-8100, Contact form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDwdei0SNHvxnPjuaE-8JkZdjmvp7UERLZvTVHS569hszh3w/viewform, (English, Spanish)—*specializes in East New York, serves all NYC residents*
- Goddard Resource Center, 212-234-3481, email@example.com (English, Spanish)
- Henry Street Settlement, Resource Center: 212-471-2400 (call to be connected with a case manager for ERAP), firstname.lastname@example.org (English, Chinese, Spanish)
- Hope Community Inc., 212-860-8821 (9:00 am – 5:00 pm), Info@hopeci.org, (English, Spanish)
- Korean American Civic Empowerment, ERAP hotline: 646-820-5135, email@example.com (English, Korean) *specializes in Queens but can assist any Koreans with limited English proficiency*
- Korean American Family Service Center, ERAP Hotline: 718-460-3800 (Mon-Fri, 9:00 am am – 5:00 pm pm), firstname.lastname@example.org *specializes in assisting Asian immigrants*
- Legal Aid Society (in partnership with the Robin Hood Foundation), ERAP Hotline: 212-298-3490 (English, Spanish) *only helping those who are undocumented or of mixed status households*
- Manny Cantor Center, 646-395-4280, info@MannyCantor.org; file a claim with this form: https://mannycantor.org/emergency-rental-assistance-program-erap/ (English, Chinese, Spanish)
- Met Council, ERAP Hotline: 929-292-9480 (Mon.-Thu. 9:00 am – 6:00 pm; Fri,. 9:00 am – 3:00 pm), email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, (English, Russian, Spanish, translation line for other languages) *specializes in Brooklyn but can help all NYC residents*
- Nazareth Housing, 212-777-1010, ERAP@nazarethhousingnyc.org (English, Spanish)
- NERVE., 212-427-0555 (9:00 am – 5:00 pm), open to walk-ins (English, Spanish)
- NYS Tenants & Neighbors Coalition, Wanda Mercado: 212-608-4320 ext. 314, email@example.com or Abby Ng: 929-359-3389, firstname.lastname@example.org (English, Spanish)
- NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance Call Center, 1-844-NY1-RENT (1-844-691-7368); chat live here (8:00 am – 7:00 pm): https://nysrenthelp.otda.ny.gov/en/Pages/14/chat-with-an-agent (English)
- PA’LANTE Harlem, schedule an appointment at 212-491-2541 (10:30 am – 7:00 pm), email@example.com (English, Spanish)
- Strycker’s Bay Neighborhood Council, 212-874-7272 (English, Spanish)
- University Settlement, 212-453-4500, firstname.lastname@example.org (English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin Chinese)
Organizations offering ERAP application trainings:
- Cabrini Immigrant Services, training video (English and Spanish): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5YqOWsQik
- Flatbush Tenant Coalition, virtual ERAP trainings every Thursday at 6:30 pm, register here: http://tinyurl.com/rentrelief101, (English, Haitian Creole, Spanish)
- Lenox Hill Neighborhood House, Friday, July 30, 2021: English presentation at 10 am, Spanish at 11:30 am; to register, email ERAP@lenoxhill.org for the Zoom link.
- Make the Road
- Spanish training videos: https://www.facebook.com/92998331295/videos/501349627806054, https://www.facebook.com/MaketheRoadNY/videos/972326903514219
- English training video: https://www.facebook.com/MaketheRoadNY/videos/121185180056545
- NYC Dept. of Housing Preservation and Development, training video: https://zoom.us/rec/play/kLJhN7Jx63vJJM5DGQ0A49nZP9ByfmPoy8WThw7tqjIr6mkzQk1XXDhInfo1nboo6d4kbXrRkiJ6jkNu.qUmQBnW4UPaYtmWO
- NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, training video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh19INyhmjg
- NYS Tenants & Neighbors Coalition, training video: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/9cgCzqA5175ty3hauPc0miVpBZNKdhEQ7RAocSlLn_nkTZplBlrs9UcwOvewnuo.yc7mwPabRgQe3bpm?startTime=1623276250000, (English)
- POTS (Part of the Solution) Bronx, training video: https://yout.be/1zEBas4SgLI
- Community Service Society, https://bplc.cssny.org/pbm/covid-19-resources/housing-programs-services/rent#nys-emergency-rental-assistance-program-erap
- Greater Sheepshead Bay Development Corporation ERAP FAQ, http://www.gsbdcorp.org/how-to-apply-for-the-emergency-rental-assistance-program/
- Korean American Family Service Center Housing Resources, https://kafsc.org/housing-2
- Legal Aid Society ERAP FAQ, https://legalaidnyc.org/get-help/housing-problems/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-nys-emergency-rental-assistance-program-erap/#when-to-apply (English, Arabic, Bengali, Simplified Chinese, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish)
- Neighborhood Association for Inter-Cultural Affairs, https://www.naicany.org/emergency-rental-assistance-program-erap/
- POTS (Part of the Solution), https://potsbronx.org/en/pots-legal-team-presents-learn-about-ny-erap-program/
- Rent Stabilization Association, https://rsanyc.net/new-york-state-emergency-rental-assistance-program-(erap)/ (English, Spanish)
Categories: News from Gale Brewer