Every year the Manhattan Borough President provides funding in support of various important capital projects throughout Manhattan. This funding is available to city agencies, nonprofit organizations, cultural institutions, and public schools for projects serving New York City purposes.
My Budget staff is available to meet with your group individually. Make an appointment with us by clicking here.
All city entities requesting funding for capital projects occurring on city-owned property (including but not limited to public schools, parks, and public buildings) should complete the Manhattan Borough President’s Office City Capital Funding Application.
Please note that the application process for city capital projects to the Manhattan Borough President’s Office has changed. All applications must be submitted through the Borough President’s Grant Portal system. Each organization should only have one account; with your account, you are allowed to submit multiple applications. Please consult with the key personnel in your organization for Grant Portal access.
All nonprofit organizations seeking capital funding for projects (including Charter Schools on non-City owned property) must complete the New York City Capital Funding application through the NYC CapGrants Portal.
All cultural organizations that receive funding from the Department of Cultural Affairs (DCLA) and are interested in requesting funding from the Manhattan Borough President’s Office must complete the application through DCLA’s website.
To be eligible for a capital grant, projects must meet the following minimum criteria:
If you are a nonprofit organization seeking City capital funding for a project that is not on City-owned land, you must meet the following requirements:
- City Operating Contract. The recipient organization must have one or more City operating contract(s).
- For real property projects, the organization must have a separate pre-existing contract with the City for operating funds in the current fiscal year (FY20) and the preceding two fiscal years (FY18 and FY19) with a minimum annual dollar amount of $50,000 each year. (This requirement does not apply to Cultural Projects).
- For movable property projects, the recipient must have a City operating contract in FY20 of at least $25,000. (This requirement does not apply to Cultural Projects.)
- Minimum City Contribution.
- For real property projects, there must be a minimum City contribution of at least $500,000
- For movable property projects, each item or equipment system must cost at least $50,000, unless it is for initial outfitting of a new space.
- For projects involving movable property that has a minor degree of attachment to real property, the project must have a minimum City contribution of at least $250,000.
- Ownership requirement. For projects involving real property (such as construction or renovation), the property must be used and owned by the recipient organization (i.e. not rented) except for:
- Cultural Projects
- Governmental-owned property
- Senior Centers
- Housing Projects in New York City Housing Authority property and Housing Projects identified with a housing loan program of the City’s Department of Housing Preservation and Development.
- Useful Life. The project must have a useful life of 5 years or more and be used for a City purpose for its entire useful life.
- Other baseline standards detailed in the Guidelines for Capital Funding Request for Not-for-Profit Organizations
If you are a city entity applying for a project on City-owned land (including public schools, parks, libraries, etc.) the project must:
- Have a useful life of at least 5 years
- Have a minimum City contribution of $50,000
The deadline for FY21 schools capital funding awards is February 21, 2020 by 5 pm.
The deadline for FY21 non-profit capital funding awards is February 28, 2020 by 5 pm.
Awards for FY 2020:
Capital Grant Awards to Organizations (click here to download)FY-20-Capital-Grant-Awards
Capital Grant Awards to Schools (click here to download)FY-20-Capital-Grant-Award-Schools
See below for past allocations: